Thursday, March 15, 2007

ROBINSON JEFFERS, CARMEL

BUILT A ROCK HOME IN CARMEL
OPEN HOUSE MAY 6TH.
HERE IS A GREAT DOG POEM The House Dog's Grave
by Robinson Jeffers (1887-1962)I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now Run with you in the evenings along the shore, Except in a kind of dream; and you, If you dream a moment, You see me there. So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door Where I used to scratch to go out or in, And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor The marks of my drinking-pan. I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do On the warm stone, Nor at the foot of your bed; no, All the nights through I lie alone. But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet Outside your window where firelight so often plays, And where you sit to read‚ And I fear often grieving for me‚ Every night your lamplight lies on my place. You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard To think of you ever dying. A little dog would get tired, living so long. I hope that when you are lying Under the ground like me your lives will appear As good and joyful as mine. No, dears, that's too much hope: You are not so well cared for as I have been. And never have known the passionate undivided Fidelities that I knew. Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided... But to me you were true. You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend. I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures To the end and far past the end. If this is my end, I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours. WE ARE WATCHING OUR FAVORITE ROMEO KITTY WORK ON PASSING. HE IS A TOUGH GUY WHO STILL LOVES HIS GARDEN AND HIS GOPHERS. NOT MUCH MORE TIME BUDDY. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN OUR MEMORIES AND HEARTS. YOU ARE A GOOD SPIRIT IN GOOD COMPANY
Posted by Picasa

No comments: